Service Ministry Team
Cathy Mertz & Rae Tyriver- Co-Coordinators
Wendy Bekx- Council Representative
Team Members: Jenny Cesar, De Dalum, Lisa Romberg, Hailey Oehlke
Mission Statement: To lead Christus’ efforts to address the social, economic, and emotional needs of people both within the congregation, and the community at large.
Coordinates and oversees:
- Community Support and Activity
- Hortonville Food Pantry
- Lutheran World Relief
- Quilter’s group
- Community Social Services agencies
- Habitat for Humanity
- Heifer Project
- Operation Christmas Child
- Support of missionaries
- Meal programs for the local community.
- Plan, promote and direct special fundraising projects for the poor/needy
Some possible activities/areas of concern:
- Study and make the congregation aware of material needs of people in the area it serves
- Conduct programs, either as a congregation, or in cooperation with other congregations and/or institutions, that provide material and spiritual assistance to people who are poor, hungry, or victimized
- Lead Christus in active participation in the ELCA Hunger Program; provide for education concerning hunger issues, provide opportunities for people to contribute to the Hunger Appeal, and regularly report on the effects of relief efforts
- Cooperate in the work of Lutheran Social Service and serve as advocates in Christus for their work
- Create awareness of other agencies or institutions that seek to alleviate social problems and human need; develop partnerships with them, inform Christus members of their work, and/or provide opportunities for financial support, as appropriate.
Service Ministry Update: In these tough economic times, we have decided to focus all of our missions this year to the local area. Through our Service Ministry Team you can support those locally in the following ways:
- Donate grocery items for the Dale/Hortonville Food Pantry. There is a drop-off box located in the entry-way of church.
- Make cash donations, payable to Christus Church, with a note that the funds should go to the Pastor's discretionary fund. He will disperse as needed.
- Drop off your empty aluminum cans in the trailer parked to the south of the parking lot.
- Donate new hair & dental care products, diaper & baby care, feminine needs, bathroom tissue, laundry soap, paper towels, garbage bags and cleaning supplies. These items will be donated to area shelters.
Together we can make a difference! God's Work-Our Hands!
Project NOAHH: The Service Ministry Team's mission this year is to help and support people in our own community, our own neighbors. Christus has become a partner with Outagamie County Health and Human Services' NOAHH (Neighbors Offering AHelping Hand) Program. The purpose of NOAHH is to engage the community in providing goods, services and opportunities for children and families in Outagamie County. Many businesses, civic groups and churches have agreed to help meet the needs of these people. The NOAHH worker will contact the Service Ministry Team when there is a child or family with a specific need such as new bedding, towels or clothing, baby items, used furniture or cleaning supplies. We will then send out a message to the congregation to see if we can help meet this need. What a great way to support our neighbors! If you currently have any old, but working household items/appliances that you are looking to get rid of, or baby supplies, or furniture that you no longer need, please call, or email Jenny Cesar at 779-3336 or firstname.lastname@example.org.